June 12, 1981

on Jan. 21, 2019

Fire ravages the original section of the building.

1962-1963

on Jan. 21, 2019

The building is expanded and additions are made.

1943-1945

on Jan. 21, 2019

Miss Annie Massey; the first female CHS High School principal, leads the school during the war years.

1934

on Jan. 21, 2019

Home Economics is added to the curriculum.

September 16, 1926

on Jan. 21, 2019

The dedication exercises for the building at 1700 Cherokee Avenue take place.

September 2, 1925

on Jan. 21, 2019

The cornerstone for the new building is set at 1700 Cherokee Avenue.

1924-1925

on Jan. 21, 2019

Sixteen acres in Wildwood Park are selected as the site of the new high school. The site is selected by popular vote. Starrett & van Vleck of New York are chosen as designing architects with Hickman and Martin as local architects.

May 31, 1924

on Jan. 21, 2019

A bond election is held to approve the purchase of land for and the building of a new high school. The bond passes "overwhelmingly."

1923

on Jan. 21, 2019

The "Blue Devil" nick name is the first applied by Gen. John J. Pershing in reference to spirited game play exhibited against Phillips High in Birmingham, Alabama. Previous to this time several nicknames had been used for the CHS sports teams. The "Orange Avalanche" is perhaps the best known.

1921

on Jan. 21, 2019

Miss Edwinn Woods, a member of the 1892 CHS graduating class is appointed to the school board. Miss Wood is the first woman appointed to this board and serves for twenty years.