News

1943-1945

on Feb. 20, 2018

Miss Annie Massey; the first female CHS High School principal, leads the school during the war years.

1934

on Feb. 20, 2018

Home Economics is added to the curriculum.

September 16, 1926

on Feb. 20, 2018

The dedication exercises for the building at 1700 Cherokee Avenue take place.

September 2, 1925

on Feb. 20, 2018

The cornerstone for the new building is set at 1700 Cherokee Avenue.

1924-1925

on Feb. 20, 2018

Sixteen acres in Wildwood Park are selected as the site of the new high school. The site is selected by popular vote. Starrett & van Vleck of New York are chosen as designing architects with Hickman and Martin as local architects.

May 31, 1924

on Feb. 20, 2018

A bond election is held to approve the purchase of land for and the building of a new high school. The bond passes "overwhelmingly."

1923

on Feb. 20, 2018

The "Blue Devil" nick name is the first applied by Gen. John J. Pershing in reference to spirited game play exhibited against Phillips High in Birmingham, Alabama. Previous to this time several nicknames had been used for the CHS sports teams. The "Orange Avalanche" is perhaps the best known.

1921

on Feb. 20, 2018

Miss Edwinn Woods, a member of the 1892 CHS graduating class is appointed to the school board. Miss Wood is the first woman appointed to this board and serves for twenty years.

1919

on Feb. 20, 2018

Junior ROTC is added

1913

on Feb. 20, 2018

The first COHISCAN, the CHS annual, was published. The name is derived from the following: COlumbus HIgh SChool ANnual.